Enrollment Procedurefor Non-Program Students

Graduate students in other programs as well as non-degree-seeking students are welcome to request enrollment in, or to audit, Communication elective courses; however, if you are not in either the the M.S. in Communication or CRDM doctoral programs, you cannot enroll yourself in COM-prefix courses. Here is the procedure for enrollment:

  1. Make note of the course name, course number, section number, and the instructor.
  2. Email the instructor (see our Faculty & Staff page for addresses) with the above details, along with your request to enroll. Provide a brief explanation for your interest in taking the class. 
  3. If approved, the professor must forward his/her approval in an email to the Graduate Services Coordinator (GSC), copying you.
  4. In turn, you will need to send the following information directly to the GSC in order to be enrolled:
    1. the name of the course, course number, section number;
    2. your full name;
    3. indicate if you are on the Graduate Student Support Plan (GSSP) in the event the course needs to be “swapped” for another to maintain your required minimum hours; and
    4. your Student ID#.

Note:  Communication master’s students have priority enrollment over non-program students although most COM-prefix 500-level courses have 700-level equivalents and seats are reserved for each level. There is a slight risk non-COM program students could be bumped from courses of choice should enrollment reach capacity and COM-program students need to take courses.

Contact the department’s Graduate Services Coordinator with questions.