We welcome NC State graduate students, graduate students from other universities, and working professionals with bachelor’s degrees from accredited institutions of higher education. Please note that the admission procedures for the certificate program vary depending on your status.
NC State Graduate Students
Graduate students at NC State must be in good standing and must submit an application to the Certificate Program that will be reviewed and approved / denied by the coordinator. A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 in undergraduate and graduate work is required for admission to the program.
Graduate Students in Non-NC State Degree Programs
Graduate students at other universities must be in good standing and must submit an application to the Certificate Program that will be reviewed and approved / denied by the coordinator. A minimum GPA of 3.0 in undergraduate and graduate work is required for admission to the program.
Prospective students must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. A minimum GPA of 3.0 in undergraduate work is required for admission to the program, regardless of length of time since degree completion.
We welcome international students in the certificate program. Because all of our classes are distance education courses, Form I-20 Student Visa is not required.
Based on course scheduling, it is unlikely that a student can take more than two certificate courses in a a single fall or spring semester, or more than one certificate course per summer session (Summer I and Summer II). Thus, the program is designed to be completed on a part-time basis and does not meet full-time study requirements.
- Applicants currently enrolled in an NC State graduate program need only provide the Graduate Student Certificate Plan Data Entry form
Complete the form and send two (2) hard copies by postal mail (your ink signature is required) along with your résumé or curriculum vitae to:
Dr. Elizabeth A. Craig
NC State University
Campus Box 8104
Raleigh, NC 27695-8104
One copy will be forwarded to the NC State University Graduate School by the certificate office upon admission to the certificate program.
- An application for acceptance into a certificate program is required for all new applicants to NC State. The applicant must apply via the online Graduate School application “Apply Yourself” portal (http://www.ncsu.edu/grad/applygrad.htm). Upload unofficial undergraduate transcripts, a brief personal statement, and a résumé or curriculum vitae with your application. Letters of recommendation and GRE scores are not required for the Certificate Program. Simply leave those sections of the application blank.
- There is a $25.00 fee for new applicants payable by credit card through the Apply Yourself portal or by mail-in check. NC State students currently enrolled in degree programs who wish to add the Certificate are not required to pay an admission fee.
- Applicants will be informed by email as to whether their application was accepted or denied.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis annually from August 15 through June 15.
- Transcripts: To save students the costs of requesting official transcripts from their bachelor’s degree-granting educational institution(s), unofficial transcripts are acceptable for certificate admissions. Please be sure the transcript indicates a bachelor’s degree was conferred, and that it shows the cumulative GPA. Simply upload them into the application system.
- Personal Statement: Please include a brief statement of purpose regarding how the certificate will help you meet your professional goals.
- Résumé or CV: You can add this to your personal statement or upload it as a separate document in the “Other Personal Documents” section of Apply Yourself.
- The admissions decision will be communicated to you via email. New NC State students can also check the NC State Graduate School’s application system through their application portal / log in. Don’t hesitate to check with the certificate coordinator or program assistant if you have any questions.
- Graduate tuition for distance education courses is set by NC State University. See the Cashier’s Office website for current distance education rates (https://online-distance.ncsu.edu/cost/).