A Coastal Conversation: North Carolina’s Rising Sea Level Problem
North Carolina State University will host “A Coastal Conversation: North Carolina’s Rising Sea Problem” 7 p.m. on Wednesday, February 5 at the Hunt Library Auditorium on Centennial Campus. The event will feature the new documentary film, Shored Up, followed by a discussion with experts in coastal engineering and science communication.
Sea level rise and coastal management is a sensitive issue in North Carolina because it affects people’s lives and pocketbooks in so many ways. This is a very complex issue which requires diplomacy and respect across a wide range of competing interests. “A Coastal Conversation” is one way to help moderate this important discussion with a goal to help North Carolinians address the problem of an encroaching sea.
- Ben Kalina, Director/Producer of the film, Shored Up.
- Cliff Ogburn, Municipal Manager. Nag’s Head, NC
- Andy Binder, Asst. Professor. Department of Communication, NC State
- David Kroll, Adjunct Professor of Science Journalism. NC State
- Stanley Riggs, Author of The Battle for North Carolina’s Coast.
This inaugural event is co-sponsored by NC State’s Collaborative on Science and Society and the Climate Change & Society Professional Science Master’s program. Additional co-sponsors include the South East Climate Science Center and the Poole College of Management’s Sustainability Initiative at NC State.