Search for scholarships, learn how to apply and explore opportunities offered by our department.
How to Apply
- Complete a general application in Pack ASSIST, and the university will match you with awards for which you qualify.
- Review application deadlines and apply early to receive first consideration. Newly admitted students should apply when they’re admitted.
Study Abroad Scholarships
- Complete a single application with the Study Abroad Office. This is a different application than Pack ASSIST.
- Review application deadlines for spring, summer and fall study abroad cycles.
Graduate Student Support
- NC State offers a limited number of fellowships, grants and other awards for graduate students.
- Students should check with their home department about program-specific awards.
We’re pleased to offer the following scholarships to communication students. Interested students must apply through the university’s scholarship portal, Pack ASSIST.
C.A. Dillon, Jr. Scholarship
The scholarship was established in 1984 to honor C. A. Dillon, Jr., for his many contributions to NC State University. Dillon, a member of the class of 1947, served the university with great distinction as a member of the Board of Trustees, the Student Aid Association, and the Alumni Association. He was also an excellent announcer at numerous Carter-Finely Stadium and Reynolds Coliseum events.
- Eligibility: Undergraduate students with a communication media concentration and a minimum GPA of 3.0.
General Hugh Shelton/Kimberly M. Jessup Memorial Scholarship
Established in 2011 by family, friends and colleagues, the scholarship honors the memory of Kimberly M. Jessup (Communication ’03). She was extremely successful in her career, working as a publicist for NASCAR, B.A.S.S., and ESPN before her untimely passing. Recipients of this award will not only receive a financial scholarship but also will be invited to participate in Shelton Leadership Center events.
- Eligibility: All communication students.
Joe S. Epley Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 2003 by the colleagues and friends of Joe S. Epley, founder and chairman of Epley Associates, Inc., to recognize the 35th anniversary of the founding of Epley Associates and Epley’s contributions to the practice of public relations.
- Eligibility: Juniors and seniors with a concentration in public relations; a demonstrated financial need; and a minimum GPA of 3.00.
Kara Ruth Medlin Memorial Scholarship
This award was established in 2001 by Tom and Darlene Medlin in loving memory of their daughter, Kara. Kara was a junior majoring in communication when she was tragically killed in an automobile accident in November 2000.
- Eligibility: Undergraduate students who have a minimum GPA of 3.5. Recipients must be a graduate of a North Carolina high school and continue to be a resident of the state of North Carolina while enrolled at NC State.
Long, Javidi, PRospects and PRSSA Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 1992 by the NC State Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America; its subsidiary public relations “firm,” PRospects; and their faculty advisors at the time, Larry W. Long and Mitch Javidi.
- Eligibility: Undergraduate students with a public relations concentration and a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Nancy and Melinda Snow Scholarship
Nancy and A. C. Snow established this scholarship in 1999 in memory of their daughter, Melinda, and in honor of Nancy, a former faculty member in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Eligibility: Undergraduate students who are members of the communication department honor society Lambda Pi Eta and who have a minimum GPA of 3.5.
Norma and Wally Ausley Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 1983 to honor the late broadcaster, Wally Ausley, for his many outstanding contributions to the community, the field of public broadcasting, and NC State. In 1980, Ausley was awarded The Watauga Medal — the university’s highest non-academic honor — for his extensive service on behalf of the university through sports broadcasting, the WPTF-AM (Raleigh, N.C.) “Farm Hour,” and his reporting of general university information. The scholarship was renamed in 1987 to also honor his wife, Norma.
- Eligibility: Undergraduate students with a communication media concentration.
Rebecca and Ruth C. Leonard Scholarship
Established in 2005 by professor Rebecca Leonard, this scholarship is in memory of her mother, Ruth, an elementary school teacher for 20 years whose dedication to her students and profession was an inspiration. The scholarship also honors Leonard’s association with the Department of Communication and the benefits she received from her interaction with students and colleagues.
- Eligibility: Undergraduate students with a interpersonal, organization and rhetorical communication concentration, minimum GPA of 3.0 and demonstrated financial need. Priority consideration will be given to students from an under-represented population and to rising seniors.
William G. Franklin Scholarship
Former students, family, and colleagues founded this scholarship in 1999 that honors William G. Franklin’s 24 years of excellence in teaching and outstanding service as a mentor to his students at NC State. Franklin passed away in 2006.
- Eligibility: All communication students.