Skip to main content

How to Add or Change a Major

Are you interested in adding a second major or changing your degree to communication? We can help with that.

Change of Degree Applications

To add or change majors, students must complete NC State’s Change of Degree Application (CODA). Eligible students must have completed 12 or more graded credit hours at NC State and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.

Our department will give preference to students who meet the following qualifications:

  • Cumulative NC State GPA of 3.0 or better, or
  • Completion of ENG 101 with grade of B- or better, and
  • Completion of COM 200, and
  • Completion of three additional hours in COM at the 200-level or higher, and
  • Cumulative GPA in all COM courses of 2.5 or better

Note: COM 200 is designed specifically as an entry-point class for internal transfers, providing them with 3 hours at the 200-level. For internal transfers, COM 200 currently replaces COM 250 as a degree requirement.